Sign Up for Newsletters
Sign up for the free newsletters we write based on our daily experience as wedding and event floral designers in trend-setting Los Angeles.
Based near the Beach in the South Bay of LA, Kit & Casey take you on a journey each month to our events we create and share with you the hottest trends in floral design.
As sought-after floral design instructors, you’ll learn the latest tips and tricks of the trade.
November 2015 Floral Trends
Flower Duet’s Ideas for Home Entertaining
By Flower Duet
This month, we offer three different Thanksgiving Floral Design classes for students of all abilities to create a lovely centerpiece from succulent-topped pumpkins to a traditional long floral design. If you cannot make a class, here are some flower ideas for your Thanksgiving Day celebration!
- November 14 — Huntington Library — Make Your Own Succulent Pumpkin Centerpiece
- November 21 — Flower Duet’s Production Studio — Make Your Own Thanksgiving Centerpiece featuring Berries and Nuts
- November 24 — South Coast Botanic Garden — Make a Centerpiece that will be perfect for Thanksgiving Dinner
Gilding gourds, nuts & leaves
Gilding nuts like walnuts offers a great metallic accent to any floral design!
The easiest way to achieve a scratch-proof gilded look is to use Rub ‘n Buff Wax Metallic Finish liquid. Just a little tiny dab is all you need to cover a walnut. For covering small nuts and gourds, this offers a scratch-proof method. If you choose to use a metallic spray paint like Design Master 24K Gold, (Flower Duet recommends this brand since we use it all the time!) items can be easily scratched when moved. Spray paints offer a fast way to cover larger surfaces like leaves, wreaths and garlands.
Another way to gild is to use gold leaf but this can be a bit messy.
Choose Rich & Vibrant Colors
Deep oranges pair well with the reds and yellows of fall. Think of turning leaves and you have your color palette. Many deciduous trees turn from green, to red to yellow to brown. So, that’s a perfect combination to fit into a Thanksgiving centerpiece as shown here.
Alternative Color Combinations for Thanksgiving Centerpieces
You could step away from traditional oranges and reds and try a new softer palette in peaches and creams. Start with some soft-colored gourds and pair with peach roses and hypericum berries.
Green & White for Thanksgiving
For an even softer color feeling for an elegant formal dinner, choose white and muted greens in the form of fun geometric shapes of pumpkins and succulent plants.
Flower Duet To Appear at Club MomMe’s Fall Family Fest
On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at the South Coast Botanic Garden, Flower Duet will appear at the 3rd Annual Club MomMe Family Fest. Our flowers will be featured throughout the festival as well as a floral hair wreath station for VIP lounge for Platinum and Gold Ticket holders.
From the ClubMomMe Website: “Fall Fest is the biggest event of the year for Club MomMe fans including modern moms, moms-to-be and families. Imagine connecting with moms, laughing, letting go of your everyday worries. Indulge in a family-friendly paradise created just for you, the busy modern mom who wants to be all things to all people, and rarely gets enough “me time.” Connect with other moms, moms-to-be, dads, families, local resources & brands.”
Moms + Dads
- Finding your Inner Mom Confidence
- Car Seat Safety & FAQ by Diono
- Sleep help by age of your child
- How to cook healthier & better meals for you and your kids. Discover new products.
- Lactation & Weaning Tips & Help
- And of course, Gear, Products & Toys
- Birth Without Fear
- Sleep Training
- Car Seat Safety
- Breastfeeding Tips & Tricks
- Diaper Changing Secrets & Intro to Cloth Diapering
- Discover the Must Haves Products & Gear
Ticket Information: Ticket prices vary for the event based on extras that can be added to the day’s activities. Tickets available on the ClubMomMe’s website.
Event Date: Sunday November 8th 2015
Event Time: 10:30 am — 3 pm
Location: South Coast Botanic Garden, 26300 Crenshaw Blvd, Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA 90274
Hashtags: #BestDayEver #FamilyFest
On Location Winter Holiday Styling Workshop
South Coast Botanic Garden Workshops Series Continues on December 2nd, 2015
Flower Duet will continue its exclusive on-location floral styling classes at the South Coast Botanic Garden.
For our winter holiday-themed class, we will show you how create your own winter wonderland indoors and outside for holiday parties, weddings and how to apply professional florist techniques to even your own home decorations.
Winter Holiday Floral Arranging Demos will include:
- How-to-create a floral snowball pomander & how to hang it (we will make these as a team during the class)
- Tips and tricks on flocking (making greenery and branches look like they are covered in snow)
- 2015 Holiday Trends
- Garland design techniques including hands-on creation and hanging
- Holiday Bow Making — Everyone will make a professional holiday bow they can keep!
- And more!!!!!
So make your reservation to attend. Whether you are a professional florist, flower enthusiast or event planner, we promise you will learn at least one new tip and probably more to make your holiday events super special and unique!
Event: Winter Holiday Floral Styling Workshop at the South Coast Botanic Garden
Date: Wednesday, December 2, 2015
Time: 10 a.m. to Noon
Cost: $25 members/$35 non-members
Reservations: Contact the Garden’s Guest Services 310–544-1948
Garden Club Lectures, Weddings, Author Events with Flower Duet
Here is a selection of images from events we did in October. We were all over the area with weddings on the West Side in Bel Air and Santa Monica, then up to Malibu at Calamigos Ranch. We went downtown to the Los Angeles Library for its Literary Feasts and enjoyed a lovely luncheon lecture demonstration at the San Marino Garden Club.
Lisa Waud, floral owner of Pot & Box, is the creator of Flower House. In October 2015, along with the help from florist friends both local and from across the US and Canada, she filled the interior walls and ceilings of an abandoned house with American-grown fresh flowers and living plants.
Funded in part by a campaign on Indiegogo.com, Waud purchased two foreclosed homes to complete this art installation. After the floral art installation, her project partners, Reclaim Detroit, will responsibly deconstruct the houses, diverting as much as 75% of the materials in the building from the landfill.
When the structures are gone, she plans to convert the plot of land into Flower House Farm which will grow flowers for her floral design business located in Ann Arbor and Hamtramck.
The FlowerHouse Mission is:
sharing the flower house experience rooted in a love of art
building an exhibition that brings visitors awe and joy
creating an opportunity for florists to participate in an innovative floral installation
pursuing a passion for sustainability and responsibility to american-grown flower farms
showing respect for the city of detroit’s history through the reuse of one abandoned house
enriching as many lives as we can
See more about how the installation turned out and learn about the partners involved in this interesting project that focuses on American Grown Flowers.
Book Recommendation: The Five Biggest Wedding Planning Myths — An Event Planner Tells All: War Stories, Warnings, and Top-notch Tips for Having the Wedding of Your Dreams
Dee Gaubert, a top-notch event planner based in Los Angeles, has written a book about the biggest wedding planning myths in an effort to help brides and grooms set the right expectations for their wedding. We love working with Dee and her team from No Worries Event Planning and wanted to recommend this book for brides and grooms as well as an newbie planners to learn from the best!
“DIY disasters. Blown budgets. Crying fits. Wedding planning is more complicated, more costly, and more confusing than ever. With a sharp sense of humor and compassionate understanding, wedding planning expert Dee Gaubert uncovers five top myths about the planning process, providing straight-to-the point advice and real-world examples from her years of experience as one of Los Angeles’ go-to wedding planners. As the saying goes, “The truth shall set you free” — and this book will free you of costly and stressful misconceptions about planning the biggest day of your life.”
Get the book today from Amazon.com.
Flower Tool: Spray Bottles
A plastic spray bottle seems like a logical tool…why even mention it? Well, because you need a lot of these around. It’s essential for spraying corsages, bouquets and other wire work with Crowning Glory. We buy Crowning Glory in bulk, so we need spray bottles on hand all the time.
You’ll also need some spray bottles for just plain water to mist succulent pumpkins to help them last from the end of September through Thanksgiving!
We also use spray bottles to mist our Tillandsias — but you need to use mineral water for this type of spraying.
So, perhaps it would be good to invest in a few different colored Sharpies so you can keep all the bottles straight!
Flower Duet’s Classes for 2016
We’ve been busy putting together our schedule for next year with weddings and events as well as classes we’ll be offering. We’ll be adding ways to make reservations for all of these classes by December 1st so mark your calendars for more fun with flowers next year!
- January 23 Class & Tour – Follow your dreams and learn how to build a show stopping centerpiece using non-traditional flora in playful colors and textures to create an off-the-chart design. We’ll show you the basics of floral design and how you can break the rules to create your own masterpieces.
- January 30 – Huntington Library Class Location floral design inspired by the historic Citrus groves and extensive exotic orchid collection.
- February 24 – Wedding Bouquets – Learn our tried and true method for hand-tied bouquets in our first wedding series class of 2016.
- March 2 – South Coast Botanic Garden Spring Styling Class — Learn how to create floral garlands and fresh floral sprays and how to attach them to a variety of structures in this hands-on location workshop in the garden!
- March 5 – Class & Tour Flowering Branches – Combine delicate flowering branches with light and lovely florals and greens for a fresh take on early spring.
- March 16 – Wedding Centerpieces — Explore a plethora of ideas for wedding receptions while learning the technique for an exquisite centerpiece in on-trend flowers that is easy to transport and keep fresh!
- April 2 – Huntington Library Class featuring luscious hyacinth and freesia for an intoxicating take on Spring.
- April 16 – Sensational Succulents & Fresh Flower Class & Tour – Succulents offer long-lasting focal points in living floral bouquets and you’ll learn three different techniques for incorporating them into bouquets, centerpieces and garlands as well has taking home your own creation.
- April 27 – Wedding Wire Work – Get comfortable designing flowers for the wedding party by learning how we make flower crowns, corsages and boutonnieres. You’ll be hands on by learning how to wire flowers for all types of wedding flowers applications.
- May 7 – Pot et Fleur Class & Tour for Mother’s Day – Learn the classic Victorian flower art of combining two or more potted plants growing in soil or other medium with cut flowers in the same container. Perfect for a Mother’s Day gift!
- June 4 – Huntington Painting Classes – Recreate a classic flower still life with garden roses & Peonies.
- June 25 – Garden Style Florist Bouquet with LA Flower Mart Tour Option
- June 29 – Wedding Series: Bouquets – Learn our tried and true method for European style hand-tied bouquets.
- July 16 – Mediterranean Flowers Class & Tour – Escape to the shores of Italy, Spain and Greece while designing a creation inspired by botanical elements of the Mediterranean.
- August 17 – Wedding Series: Centerpieces — Explore a plethora of ideas for wedding receptions while learning the technique for an exquisite centerpiece in on-trend flowers that is easy to transport and keep fresh!
- September 17 – Vibrant and Dashing Dahlias with LA Flower Mart Tour Option
- October 15 – Succulent Pumpkins with LA Flower Mart Tour Option
- October 19 –Wedding Wire Work – Get comfortable designing flowers for the wedding party by learning how we make flower crowns, corsages and boutonnieres. You’ll be hands on by learning how to wire flowers for all types of wedding flowers applications.
- November 19 – Festive Harvest Floral Design with Berries and Branches with LA Flower Mart Tour Option
- December 10 – Holiday Evergreens with LA Flower Mart Tour Option