Travel the World of Flowers with Flower Duet in 2021
Did you know that Casey from Flower Duet has designed flowers around the world?
It was once part of her job aboard a luxury ship to design with flowers in various exotic ports of call. We are going to share this knowledge with you in 2021 in our ‘AROUND THE WORLD IN FLOWERS
’ classes and workshops. Classes will be available online and in-person!
A woman in Thailand folds open fresh lotus blossoms.
In January, we will “visit” Thailand and design with its famous export, orchids! Casey will guide you on a tour of these lovely blooms while sharing stories from her travels there and what to do when you go there. Then, we’ll help you ring in the Lunar New Year that is celebrated in Vietnam, China and Korea with a themed class in February. In March, we’ll travel to Ireland and design with green flowers and leafy greenery to bring out the Irish in all of us.
The Cliffs of Moher in Ireland beckon us to design in rich greens in March for our Emerald Isle Flower Class.
In April, it’s Tulip time and we’d all love to see them in blooms in The Netherlands. In this class we’ll learn about Tulipmania in the 16th Century when the price of one tulip bulb cost as much as a house! Kit worked and lived in The Netherlands for a short time which brought her a huge appreciation for its love affair with flowers. Every year millions of tulips are blooming in and around Amsterdam. The tulip season in Holland marks the beginning of spring. The colorful flowers and the rising temperatures make many people from all over the world happy.
Every year, the millions of tulips that bloom in Holland bring visitors.
In May, we’ll return to American shores for the beloved Peony season which is by far the most favorite flower due to its full bloom and lovely fragrance. In this class, we’ll talk about its season, when to purchase, how to purchase and where to find Peonies in July and August!
Peonies are native to North America! Learn more in our class!
In June, we’ll go to Paris and have fun with beautiful roses. After all, Chanel No. 5 gets it signature scent from roses grown in France along with Jasmine petals.
Here are the first 6 classes we are planning for 2021:
JANUARY 16, 2021 — Orchids of Thailand — the history, current floral production and an in-person workshop on how to design with these gorgeous blooms.
FEBRUARY 6, 2021 — Lunar New Year Flowers from China, Vietnam and Korea — the history, symbolism and an in-person hands-on floral workshop.
March 13, 2021 — Emerald Isle Flowers — Travel to Ireland and learn about Irish traditions and flowers and then create a design inspired by green flowers, ferns and leaves.
April 17, 2021 — Dutch Tulips — “Travel” with Flower Duet to The Netherlands and learn about Tulipmania, propagating bulbs and why tulips love to party in a vase!
MAY 22, 2021 — American Peonies — Did you know that Peonies are native to North America? Did you know they can be grown for the flower industry in Alaska which extends the season by months!? You can learn these facts and a lot more about the hottest flower in the biz in this hands-on class!!!
June 19, 2021 — Parisian Roses — Ah Paris! Pah-ree! What a lovely place. Casey and Kit were in Paris on Kit’s 22nd birthday. We had a fabulous time in France together. Now, we want to share all our knowledge of French flowers with you!
More Classes will be announced soon with more travel & flower themes including some cooking inspiration, too!
New Protocols for 2021
CLASS WILL BE OFFERED ONLINE WITH SUPPLIES/FLOWER PICKUP OR IN-PERSON (OUTSIDE IN FLOWER DUET’S PARKING LOT)
1) After you sign up, we will send you instructions about how to log in to the online videos and pickup times for flowers and supplies.
2) On Day of Class: Pick up flowers and supplies at Flower Duet’s studio on Saturday morning then return to your home to make the design
3) Log on at 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon with Flower Duet and your classmates to discuss the designs and ask any questions. We will be there. You will see us. We can see you and your designs and help you! All supplies will be provided by Flower Duet. Reservations required.
In-Person OPTION will be OUTSIDE — weather permitting:
1) After you sign up, you will receive an email one week before class to confirm.
2) On Day of Class, come to Flower Duet’s studio parking lot for your own socially distanced work space. You will be required to wear a mask and it’s suggested you dress warmly with comfortable shoes.
3) If weather is bad (if it’s projected to be too windy, raining or the air quality is poor), you will be able to pick up supplies and flowers and return home for the online version of the class with afternoon Zoom call. We will determine Friday night and let all know if class will be held outside or online to the next day.